The Jewish history of Acre goes back to Roman times. During the Middle Ages, it became a major port and commercial trading center, as well as a major Torah center. In the 11th century, it was home to the great scholar, Rabbi Moshe ibn Kaskil of Mahdia, and in the 12th century, that of Rabbi Japhet ben Eliyahu. It was second in importance to Jerusalem and served as a disembarkation point for pilgrims. Under Haim Farhi, the second in command of the Acre district, the local Jews, along with the local Arabs, successfully fought off Napoleon’s armies and helped to drive him back to Egypt.
The Ramchal Synagogue in the Jewish Quarter in Acre, built in the 1740s and named after the Kabbalist Rabbi Moshe Haim Luzzato. It was a central place for the Jews of Acre
Arabs (presumably of Acre, but could also be of Haifa) getting ready for a bloodbath during the Arab riots of 1936-9.
The Jewish residents, who numbered 350 in 1936, abandoned the town when the Arab riots broke out that year.